How to Use Hempwick | What is Hempwick?
Posted on February 7th, 2023 to Education
Ever burned your fingers trying to keep herb or tobacco burning in a pipe? Maybe you know how annoying it can be to keep reaching for a lighter every time you want another hit or to have a lighter kick the bucket halfway through a smoking session.
Pretty much all of us pipe smokers have been there. While you can definitely invest in a lighter that’s better for pipe smoking, hempwick offers a unique alternative. What is hempwick, and how do you use it? Take a closer look below.
What is hempwick?
Hempwick is a type of wick that is made using twisted hemp fibers to create a sort of twine. The fibers are dipped in a thin layer of beeswax, which allows the fibers to burn more slowly after ignition. Hempwick comes in rolls that can be several hundred feet long. For example, Bee Line Hemp Wick comes in a roll that is 200 feet in length. You can also find hempwick with different thicknesses.
How to Use Hempwick
Hempwick is exceptionally easy to use:
- Unroll a length of wick from the roll
- Use a lighter or match to light the end of the wick
- Place the flame into the bowl of your pipe as needed and rest it in an ashtray when not in use
- Extinguish the wick with water when you’re done
- Snip off the wet or burnt end if needed
The Noteworthy Advantages of Hempwick
Without a doubt, hempwick offers a nice list of desirable advantages when compared to a standard lighter, including:
- Cost: One roll of hempwick can last a really long time for the price
- Burn temperature: Hempwick doesn’t burn as hot as a standard lighter, which may mean less damage to the delicate components in your herb
- Earth-friendly: When used properly, you will have very little waste and hempwick is a naturally biodegradable product
- Clean burn: Hempwick does not contain chemicals, toxins, or compounds that come along with butane lighters
- Flavor: Hempwick is made out of a cannabis-based product, so there is less of a chance of inadvertently changing the flavor of your smoke
Are there disadvantages to using hempwick?
While hempwick is definitely a good alternative with advantages to speak about, the alternative is not for every person. You do have to keep tabs on the burning wick from the moment you light the flame until it is extinguished for safety reasons. And, with a wick, you will have some ash whereas you don’t with a lighter.
Find the Best Hempwick Options at Seven Sense International
Ready to trade in your matches and lighters for hempwick? Be sure to take a look at our collection of quality hempwick from top brands at Seven Sense International. You can even find a hemp wick trial pack if you don’t want to commit to a full roll just yet. We’re pleased to offer all the smoking accessories you need to have only the best experience with every session.